Would you like to do an internship or get involved as a volunteer for our organization in Uganda? We are looking for enthusiastic people with a heart for vulnerable children in Africa.
We can use your help! There is a fantastic team in Uganda that guides and takes care of the children and your contribution is most welcome!
What can you do for the children?
During your stay with us, you will of course want to feel useful. Below we have made a summary of the activities you could get involved with.
- Assisting in classes at primary, secondary and vocational schools
- Remedial teaching of children with learning difficulties or a learning deficit
- Remedial support of children learning to read (English)
- Playing, reading books and giving personal attention
- Organizing and supervising sports and games activities after school and at weekends
- Helping out at the Day Care and Kindergarten
In the clinic
- Assisting and helping the medical team, helping with births
- Sharing knowledge, experience and practical help. Giving clinical lessons and sharing clinical knowledge
- Helping with outpatients appointments, treatments, weighing, vaccinating and administrative work
- Administration of drugs
- Helping in the kitchen with serving the meals to ± 800 children
- Helping with the organization of various activities, such as parties, sports and games, dance performances
- Initiating and supervising activities such as games and crafts
- Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, gardeners and painters etc. are also very welcome!
Accommodation and transport
You stay in one of our guest houses on the campus. These cottages are fully furnished with bedrooms, equipped kitchen, living room, bathroom with shower and toilet. You can also use the washing machine and (limited) wifi. If you want, you can join in and eat with the staff on the campus (simple local meals) but you can also cook yourself. A small supermarket and fruit and vegetable stalls are within walking distance of the campus. About 15 minutes drive away from the campus are two different large luxury shopping centers with a large supermarkets, drugstores, restaurants, cinema and various other shops.
Upon arrival in Uganda you will be picked up by one of our staff from the airport in Entebbe and taken to the project and your guest house. If you want to go somewhere during your stay, you can arrange this at the office there. They will arrange for a driver to take you where you need to go. There is a small charge for this depending on the time and distance travelled. The office will tell you the exact price. On the day you return home, you will be taken to Entebbe airport.
There is a Dutch guide (Mirjam) on site to support you on your first day and help you on your way. If you need help or questions during your stay, you can contact her.
Our site is completely walled and guarded 24 hours a day.
- You are at least 18 years of age, unless accompanied by adults
- We do not want you to stay alone on the campus, so we prefer if you come with someone or ask us if there are other visitors during the period you want to come.
- Maximum stay 12 weeks
- You have a good command of the English language
- You can work well independently and you make your own initiatives.
- There is no smoking, drug use or alcohol on the premises
- During the school holidays the children go to their guardians. It is therefore important that you do not plan your trip during that period. Do not plan your trip in December & January, May, and the end of August until mid-September. (Ask the Dutch office for exact dates.)
Protection of vulnerable children
We meet all volunteers, trainees and others who regularly come into contact with children in Uganda to discuss all aspects of child behavior and child safety and they have to have a certificate of conduct before they are allowed to work with children. All Ugandan staff, volunteers and trainees must sign the 'Child Protection Policy'. This document describes the rights of the children and the protection of their integrity both inside and outside of educational situations, as well as the sanctions policy for violations by different staff groups.
*(A certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) is a document by which the Dutch State Secretary for Justice and Security declares that the applicant did not commit any criminal offences that are relevant to the performance of his or her duties.)
The cost for your stay depends on the number of nights you stay. You will need to book your own tickets to Entebbe. This so that you can choose which airline you want to fly with.
For visits longer than 3 weeks:
There is standard charge of € 250,-. This covers the costs of travel to and from the airport by a member of our staff and the support of an English speaking, Dutch guide who will help and advise you during your stay. Staying in the guest house costs € 10,- per person per night.
Example: You plan go to our project for 4 weeks, the costs for this are € 250 + (28 nights x € 10,-) = € 530,-
For visits shorter than 3 weeks:
For visits less than 3 weeks you pay € 15,- per person per night. There is also the possibility of travel to and from the airport by a member of our staff. This costs € 80,- per car (roundtrip) for up to 4 people. In the case of 4 people, the cost of transportation to and from the airport is therefore € 20,- per person. If you come with more people, we can arrange other transport. Please contact us.
Do you want to visit our project as a family with children?
Then we make separate arrangements and costs for you. Please contact the office for this.
Are you enthusiastic about volunteering with us?
Register via the button below. We will contact you and make an appointment to see you or speak with you, so we can to get to know more. We will give you more practical information about Uganda and our project, so that you are well prepared for your visit and traveling!